Our aims are achieved through:
- Individual, group (Guided Reading) and whole class reading (Shared Reading) during daily English Lessons and across the whole curriculum.
- Comprehension skills being formally taught so that strategies are in place to enable the children to develop and use higher order skills such as inference, deduction and criticism of texts.
- Daily phonic sessions.
- Children on the Book Band system having their books changed three times a week.
- Each child takes part in weekly guided reading sessions led by the class teacher and teaching assistant under the guidance of the class teacher.
- Children whose progress in reading is a cause for concern being targeted by reading with an adult in daily sessions and/ or participating in Intervention Programmes such as Early Literacy Support, Better Reading and other Wave 3 Literacy Interventions.
- Regular reading at home, monitored by class teacher/teaching assistant. Reading Records being used by parents in conjunction with class teachers to ensure good communication between home and school.
- Children who read regularly for the minimum of five times a week are put in a weekly prize draw to win a book. We STRIVE FOR FIVE!'
- Regular class story sessions across the school used to share short stories or a class novel.
- Visits to the school and local library.
- Fiction and Project Loans from the Schools’ Library Service.
- The promotion of reading through the Learning Environment, Books at Breakfast sessions, author displays, extreme reading competition, new intake meetings and ‘Stay and Play’ sessions in FS.